This privacy statement outlines my obligations as a Counsellor, Therapist and Coach also your rights as a client.
Please take your time to read through the whole document
This agreement includes my new data responsibilities under the General Data Protection Regulation which came into effect on 25th May 2018.
In order to comply with the new regulations regarding contact and consent, I (Sharon Maume) need to make you (client) aware of your rights and confirm that you give consent for Sleep Better Again Online Counselling/Sharon Maume and any relevant parties mentioned to collect and store your data in the way described below.
What is collected and why?
Sleep Better Again Online Counselling/Sharon Maume will collect and store your name, date of birth and age. This is basic information that helps me (Sharon Maume) get to know you better but is also stored for lawful and safeguarding purposes (see confidentiality and sharing of information statement).
Your Address, Email address and phone numbers are recorded and stored as a means of contacting you regarding your sessions. I will usually contact you using the method you first contacted me on but if I can’t reach you, I will try a different method. These details may also be used for emergency purposes where there is an evident risk of harm to yourself (see confidentiality statement).
GP details are recorded for safeguarding purposes whereby I have cause of concern for your wellbeing and safety I may have to contact your GP. Where possible I will seek to get your consent and inform you before doing so.
I keep very brief anonymous notes of key themes discussed in our sessions. The purpose of recording this is for my own recollection and to monitor the work we are doing and also need to be retained for lawful purposes.
Confidentiality/sharing of information.
All information collected and shared as stated, will not be shared with outside sources. Sleep Better Again Online Counselling/Sharon Maume will not sell your information and will not use it for any purposes other than those related to Counselling/Therapy/Coaching.
There are however exceptions that may require me to share your information with a third party, details of which are outlined below. Please note that a decision to breach confidentiality is not taken lightly and all due consideration to your privacy is taken into account. Confidentiality may need to be breached in the following circumstances:
- There is significant risk of harm to yourself, in this instance information may need to be shared with a GP or other professional.
- There is information shared that suggests a child/vulnerable adult is being harmed or is at risk of harm. In this instance information may need to be shared with relevant services.
- If there is disclosure of terrorism or money laundering, I am legally obliged under the terrorism and money laundering act to disclose this information to the police.
- Finally, if I am subpoenaed by court to share any information then I must do so upon request.
I may at times share my case work with a supervisor who is a qualified counsellor and adheres to the same confidentiality and privacy requirements.
All information shared is anonymous to avoid identification.
In the event of my death or terminal injury resulting in me being unable to carry out my work my supervisor will have access to all my clinical records in order to inform clients and end therapy and destroy data as required.
Data storage and Disposal
All data Sleep Better Again Online Counselling/Sharon Maume collects is recorded on paper format and is stored in a locked filing cabinet. I may keep your name and code on a password protected laptop, memory stick/flash drive and your contact number is stored on my phone using your initials which is password protected.
The length of time I store data varies in line with my insurance company and professional body. Throughout the duration of therapy, I will keep all records electronically. Once Therapy has terminated, I will keep your address and contact details for a maximum of 30 days after which point, they will be shredded. Your session notes and client code will be kept for a further 7 years in line with my insurance policy and legal obligations.
Under General Data Protection Regulations, you have the following rights:
- The right to be informed about the collection and use of your personal information as described herein.
- The right to access copies of any information held about you, this can be accessed through a data subject access request and the right to receive a response to this request within a period of no more than 1 month.
- The right to rectification; to have inaccurate personal data rectified or completed If incomplete.
- The right to erasure; you have the right to opt out of data collection. If you wish to do so please make this request in writing, however some data cannot be erased and will need to be retained for lawful purposes and In line with my insurance policy.
- The right to Data portability. You have the right to obtain and reuse your personal data for your own purposes across different services.
- Finally, you have the right to object to any personal data being collected, this will need to be made known in advance or at the start of any therapy. Please note if this is the case all therapeutic work will be terminated as I am required to keep appropriate records in line with my insurance and ethical bodies as well for legal and safeguarding matters.
I am registered with the ICO as a Data Controller and abide by the regulations imposed by such procedures. My registration number is (********)
I have a duty to report data breaches, for example, loss of client confidentiality within 72 hours to the ICO. As a data subject whose personal information we hold, you have certain rights.
If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please email email@example.com
Accessing your data
If you wish to make a request for your data under a data subject access request please do so in writing. I will then request you to sign a disclosure consent form. You will then expect to receive the information within 30 days of receipt of the request.
This agreement shall be construed and governed in all respects in accordance with the laws of England and Wales and any dispute or differences in relation to this agreement shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.
sbacounselling Sleep Better Again Online Counselling website is hosted by Siteground.com and captures both Session (Transient) & Persistent (Permanent/Stored) cookies.
Session (Transient) cookies: these cookies are erased when you close your browser, and do not collect information from your computer. They typically store information in the form of a session identification that does not personally identify the users.
Persistent (Permanent/Stored) cookies: these cookies are stored on your hard drive until they expire (i.e based on a set expiration date) or until you delete them. These cookies are used to collect identifying information about the user, such as Web surfing behavior or user preferences for a specific site.